The Black Beyond is a sci-fi building sim. Create a thriving city in space using a fleet of worker drones, while carefully managing and expanding the colony's resources. Defend your city against relentless dissidents that fear your ever-improving utopia as you attract thousands of colonists to your cause.
- Construct a city in space using a fleet of automated worker drones
- Extract resources from an infinite field of asteroids and icy comets
- Defend your base from dissident attackers by deploying a variety of defensive turrets, shields, and other powers
- Attract thousands of residents by constructing space ports and housing, unlocking new structures as your city grows
I want to make a great (alright, I'll settle for 'good') game, but I can't do it without fixing all the bugs and correcting my many mistakes. I'm not a pro marketer or a social media whiz (do people use the word 'whiz' anymore?), so I can't exactly count on my promotion power to attract testers. So...free.
I'm probably a bad capitalist, but I am also going to wait until the game is ready before I charge real monies.
Where is the game at right now? What do you do?
- Collect energy by constructing solar panels. Unlock larger solar arrays and fusion power plants. Expand your maximum energy with batteries.
- Mine asteroids by constructing mining facilities. Drones seek out and exploit the nearest asteroids, and refineries create alloys.
- Expand your industry by building drone factories. More worker drones means faster construction and more mining. Deploy entire fleets to quickly expand your city.
- Attract population by constructing space ports and housing. Income from population is used to build advanced structures.
- In the future, I will improve the 'residential' effects (e.g. adding some cool traffic) and implement more uses for income (like trade and more advanced structures).
- Also, I'd like to add a 'replicator' ( to convert large sums of energy into alloys
Defend your City:
- Not everyone is down with making a space-utopia. Dissident fleets will attack your base. Currently, there are few enemy types and most attacks are easy to repel.
- Deploy railguns or lasers to defend your city. Railguns are cheap and require small amounts of alloys to fire, while lasers drain lots of energy with each blast, but deal incredible damage.
- Over time, I will add more defensive options and more intelligent, diverse enemies
Expand your City:
- Build in any direction. There aren't currently any hard limits to how far you can build.
- Half your base got blown up? Worker drones automatically repair and rebuild structures, because micromanagement can suck.
- Advanced structures grant city-wide benefits like boosting drone movement speed or more efficient mining.
- I will be adding more levels soon! These will have different visuals (obvi) and different resource spawning rules. Also, I will add more options (e.g. to play in peaceful or sandbox mode).
I'm extremely grateful for any feedback or publicity about my game. My game is a work in progress, and I am very much dedicated to finishing it (you know...before I go broke and die). Your help is very much ... helpful? At a certain point I'm just sucking up, but seriously...thank you!
Thank you very much for trying my game!